Saturday, January 9, 2010

Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research

I am very excited to let you all know that I was recently awarded the Jean Thomason Scholarship to attend the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research. The week long institute is at Samford University in Birmingham, AL. I elected to take the course "Researching African-American Ancestors: Slave & Reconstruction Era Records."

Hopefully, when I finish the course I will bring back to Columbia new research ideas that we can use to enhance family history research and research into lost African American neighborhoods in Columbia like Ward One.

The Ward One neighborhood was destroyed during the 1960's Urban Renewel projects.It is the area where we now find the Coliseum. However, many of the familes are still in the Columbia area. While there is a certain nostalia associated with the neighborhood there is also interest in the area for historians and family researchers. Dr. Donaldson at USC has been putting together research about the Ward One community.

My head is already swirling with some lower Richland County names that I will take with me. Many of my patrons are researching the deSaussure's and I am determined to write a paper about Dennis Watson whose property, I believe, the Reeder Point neighborhood was built on.

I hope that you will all look forward to my blog posts when I attend the institute in June.

2 comments:

S. Lincecum said...

Congratulations!

Death Notices said...

This is really great that you are proceeding for Genealogy and historical research. Even, i am so fond of genealogy concept and working on my family tree.