Monday, November 19, 2012


Planning my National Day of Listening reminded me how important it is to talk about family history with all of the family not just the most senior members. While having breakfast with my cousin last summer I was bemoaning how difficult it had been tracking down our great grandmother.  I declared that, "after twenty years of searching I discovered she changed her name!".  My cousin looked at me strangely and said she knew that bit of history because she clearly remembered, years ago at a family gathering, our grandmother and her sister laughing about how often they had to change their last name to "get out of dodge" for one thing or another when they were little girls.

:0 < That's me speechless!  I would never have wasted my money and time on searching for a Ford family if I had known that was an alias. My goal this year, on National Listening Day, is to listen to everyone! What stories do my cousins remember? They have totally different sets of recollection that can add depth and value to the family history.

If you would like more information about the National Day of Listening visit the Low Country Africana web site.  They are our SC sponsors of this event. You can also "like" it on Facebook:



No comments: