Sunday, May 4, 2008

Digitized newspapers

This afternoon I answered a patron request for more information about Beaufort newspapers online. Of course, I directed her to this blog where there is a link to the Beaufort Public Libray's index to the Beaufort Gazette and the index to the Press and Standard, Walterboro's paper. However, I recently discovered that the University of South Carolina has digitized a Port Royal newspaper called the New South. These 67 issues cover the years March 1862-1866 and are searchable.

With more and more newspapers being digitized it is good to remember to check the digital collections at local universities. These are usually the institutions that currently are conducting the majority of digitization projects. Take the time to check the university in your area to see what projects they are working on.

I will provide the link to the New South newspaper on my lists of links.

No comments: