Thursday, July 24, 2008

SC Gen workshop

The workshop was July 11 and 12. I was surprised by how many of my Local History Room colleagues were there. Greenville, Laurens County, Florence and Edgefield were represented.

The session on SC Plats was very educationa. I am trying to make the plats a useful tool since we have the Columbia district on microfilm at RCPL. The State Arhive has the index online so they are much easier to use.

The workshop on African American research gave me a new tip. When searching through the Freedman's Bank records don't forget Augusta, GA. The only areas in SC are Beaufort and Charleston but for our upstate and midlands area Augusta makes perfect sense. I just never thought of it. That tip will definitely find its' way to my next workshop. Which, BTW, is October 4th at the Northeast Branch.

1 comment:

Laura said...

It was nice meetng you at the conference in July. I had a few extra minutes and thought I would "drop by".

Laura Holden
Head of Genealogy and Local History
Anderson County Library